Once you have set up your Assignments Groups, you can set grade weights. Ember uses the percentage weights you specify to calculate the final grade as percentages. The weights will show up in the Gradebook for both students and instructors. For more information on how to set up Assignments Groups click here.
Open Assignments Settings
Click the Settings icon at the top of the Assignments Index Page to open the assignments settings. Once clicked, a pop up window with the assignments settings will appear.
Set Grade Weights via Assignments Groups
Enter the percentage weights for each of the different Assignment Groups you created. The percentage weights you specify here will determine how Ember calculates the final grade for your course. These percentages can be changed at any time and students will be notified when any changes are made.
Note: Weights are usually equal to 100%, but can exceed 100% if there are extra credit assignments.
View Grade Weights
Once you have set the grade weights, the percentage for each Assignment Group will be displayed towards the right side of the title.
Set Grading Rules
You can set up grading rules such as dropping lowest or highest numbers of scores for an assignment group.
- Click the setting icon
- Then select Edit to edit the Assignment group.
Set Up Extra Credit Assignments
You can create a new Assignment just for extra credit. There are two options to add extra credit points for students:
Option 1: Create an Extra Credit Assignment
- Create a new extra credit Assignment.
- Make the total points worth zero points and add extra credit points manually in the Gradebook
Note: If your extra credit is a quiz, which has points by default, you will need to use option 2.)
Option 2: Create an Extra Credit Assignment Group
- To award extra credits, make sure you first organize all other required assignments into Assignment groups.
- Create another Assignments Group for the extra credit assignment only beyond 100%.
- Add one extra assignment under the extra credit assignment group.
(Note: if you have more than one extra credit assignments, you may want to put each of them under its own group.)
- Make the required assignment groups equal 100%
- Make the extra credit group worth the desired percentages.
This allows the Assignment Groups total to exceed 100% without penalizing students who do not participate in the extra credit assignment.