This article will show you how to add an event to the course Calendar. Events are different from Assignments in Ember since calendar events will not appear on the Assignments page or in the Gradebook, but they will show up on the Syllabus page and student calendars. You can create events with due-date times as well as all-day events.
There are two ways to access your Ember Calendar:
Enable your Calendar
If your course has not yet published, you may need to enable your course in the list of Calendars by clicking on the box next to the course name. This will allow you to select your unpublished course when adding a calendar event.
Select a date to add event
There are two ways to add a Calendar event.
- You can click the Add icon to add an event or assignment to the Calendar.
- You can also click on the date to which you wish to add the event.
Note: Click the arrows next to the month name to navigate to a different month.
Edit new event
- Enter a title for the event.
- If you clicked the Add icon, the date will default to the current date. If you clicked the date from the Calendar, your date will already be entered.
- Specify the start and end time for your event. To create an all-day event, leave the From: fields blank so that there is no start and end time for your event.
- From the dropdown menu, select the calendar on which you would like this event to appear.
- Click the Submit button to save the event.
Add more content with More Options
If you click More Options, the next screen that appears will be the text editor and content selector. You can use it to create more dynamic content for this Calendar event that will assist students as they prepare for the event. Remember, events are not designed to be graded.
You can do all this by using the text editor and/or content selector:
- Add images, links, and other course files.
- Use the advanced HTML Editor to embed content.
- Use the text editor to format your Calendar event description, add information, or link to external content.
- Assign to different sections in which you are enrolled (if applicable).
- Add a location or address such as a web conferencing link or meeting invite URL.
- Create a repeating Calendar event for events happening more frequently than one time within your course.
Once you have added content and/or determined the frequency of your event, be sure to click the Create Event button to save all changes.
Calendar events and course notifications
Once you create your calendar event, your students will be able to see the event you created, as it will appear in the course in several ways. Based on the student's notification preferences, they will be alerted about the course Calendar event as well.
View event in the course Calendar
To double-check your event details, click on the event's title. When you click on the event's title, you will see a summary page with all of the rich content you've added.
Note: When your students access this Calendar event, the event time will display based on the student's time zone.