An integrated system for focused and threaded discussions, which allows both instructors and students to start and contribute to as many discussion topics as desired. Discussions can also be created as an assignment or as a forum for topical and current events.
What are Discussions?
Discussions are accessed by the Discussions link in the Course Navigation.
- Discussions are date-stamped when created or replied to, and can be enhanced with any rich media such as video, images, web pages or file attachments.
- If you are unable to create a new discussion or cannot attach a file to a Discussion, you have been restricted by your Instructor for the current course.
How do I use Discussions?
You can expect Discussions to:
- Help you to start thinking about an upcoming Assignment or class discussion.
- Test your comprehension of important points covered in class material.
- Debate contradictory ideas in a respectful manner.
- Brainstorm different approaches to a class problem.
How are Discussions organized?
Discussions are organized into three main areas.
- Pinned Discussions: These are discussions that your instructor wants you to see at the top of the page. You will see the "Pinned Discussions" section heading only if there are discussions within the section.
2. Discussions: These are current discussions within the course. Discussions are ordered by most recent activity. You will see the "Discussions" section heading only if there are discussions within the section.
3. Closed for Comments: These are discussions that are only available in a read-only state. Closed for Comments Discussions are also ordered by most recent activity. You will always see the "Closed for Comments" section heading, even if there are no discussions within the section.